After the reading, Dr.Harvey, Dr.Fuka, Pastor Eyvonne, or Pastor Jean-Pierre gave a lesson on what we can take from this. Then there was time for questions. Marie -Rose, an amazing woman who I need to write more about, ALWAYS had a question, and really good questions. You know when you can tell that someone wants to learn, really really wants to learn, that they apply not only their time, and effort, but their mind too... that is Marie-Rose. I always appreciated her questions because they challenged me to think deeper and wider, to question what the message is in the passage.
After questions, prayer, and then the medical staff would stay while the rest of the employees (guards, maintence, custodial, and administrative) would move on to their work duties. The medical staff stayed and the night shift nursing staff reported on the current status of the patients. All of this was done in Frangala (French and Lingala). Sometimes Sean translated for me by writing, or Ginny would translate. By the end of our time there, I could "catch" the general jist of most things.
After morning report, Sean rounded on patients with Dr.Harvey, Dr. Fuka, or himself depending on the day. It felt natural after a while to openly pray with each patient, or pray for the patients collectivly in each building. When asked the patients shared their concerns, and it was remarkable what a touch, smile, or prayer (even if done in English) meant to the individual.
When I first met this young girl, she NEVER smiled. She had a very uncomfortable rash over her entire body, creating swelling in her lymph nodes, and feeling itchy all over her body. After spending a few moments with her for a couple days in a row, she would give me a shy smile when I walked by, then I couldn't resist but to come and just be with her. I prayed for her and her family (her younger sister was in the hospital as well with malnutrition). I love this young girl... she just needed a little encouragment to allow her joy to shine.... even still (it's small here in this picture... but I'm certainly happy! )
Sean examining a new baby, after taking her C-section. Even the smallest interest, touch, care, words, smile, can make such a difference. Even here, being home in Indiana, what can our smiles do, maybe alot, if we let it be used... and I hope to.
A guard walked through the hospital grounds ringing a bell at 9:45 every morning calling for paitents and family members to come to chaple at 10:00. Around 10:05 you can hear a resounding sound of joyful songs again, and the beat of the passionate playing of the drum.
No comments:
Post a Comment