Sunday, February 8, 2009

Crocs at the Market!


Late Saturday morning Ginny, Suzy, and Jean-Pierre took Sean and me to the market. I have been to markets before in Jamaica, Honduras, Ukraine, Bahamas, but I saw something at this market that I would have never expected to see at a market anywhere!

Yes: Crocs were at the market... and no... for those of you who know me well and my obsession with Crocs the shoe brand.  REAL LIVE crocodiles were at the market for sale! And no, they are not for pets, they are to buy, kill, cut up, cook and EAT! The crocs were tied up and sitting on tables just waiting for "their turn" to either be bought, or be today's fresh meat right on the spot!  Poor things... I am told they can live for up to 6 months without food or water... YIKES... one of them we saw somehow got his hind legs untied and I swear I heard him say "that's it... I'm outta here!" as he crawled right off the table and onto the floor.... much to his dismay, a boy went after him, picked him up and put him right back on the table...I know I heard him say "well pinky we'll just have to make another plan..." as he was positioned next to his friends again. 

We had a hard time getting over the crocodiles... we're still talking about it... but there really were other things at the market... Salvation Army clothes, new clothes, little tiny journals (we bought 2... they were too cute to pass up), soap, toothbrushes, and my second favorite thing was the fabric!  OH my... all the patterns to make traditional Congolese clothing.... so lovely.  I wondered where the women got their beautiful matching skirts, tops and head wraps!  So, Sean and I have decided that we are going to get some cloth for matching outfits.  (that is the thing to do here)... or I guess I have decided... Sean is busy falling asleep next to me while reading up on some medical stuff. 

It was nice to have a day to be here without any obligations and to just experience and to be immersed in other individuals reality... crocodile for dinner anyone?


3 comments:

Molly Monroe said...

Haha, I can't wait to see you and Sean in your mathing shirts....matchy-matchy! :)
--Mol

Anonymous said...

Please remember to bring 5 pounds of alligator home for me in March. Sounds delicious!! Yuk Yuk! Love, Dad

bearded J said...

MMMM crocaburgers.....I mean poor fellows!