Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Singing!

February 3, 2009

Thanks so much for the emails from some of you! It is so nice to get them!

We are good... still experiencing some jet-lag... they say it takes one day to every hour... so I guess that means it will take us about 6-8 days maybe to feel more "normal." The accomodations are pretty nice... it is a 3 bedroom house with 2 bathrooms, a kitchen, a dining room, and internet access. I am using Suzy's computer right now (she is the pharmacist who lives in this house regularly. She has been here for 3 months now and will be here for a total of one year).

We need to get our computer "switched over" in order for it to be hooked up to the internet. So once we get that done maybe we will be able to update more regularly. 

Today we rested... we slept until about 8:00 a.m., showered, and unpacked our bags. We went over to the Harveys for lunch (they live about a mile away from the hospital grounds on the "mission" site. It was very good!  We visited and talked more about what we can expect... how they ended up here etc. Dr. Harvey asked us if we would be ready to start up tomorrow at 7:00 a.m.  we said yes... we'll see how it goes... because he also said that we should sleep whenever we can ... so if that is  in the morning... that is when we should sleep for now.  We'll see... mainly it is Sean who is expected to be there regularly... I am along for the ride I guess!

Last night we slept okay... we slept for about 3 hours... woke up... couldn't sleep... and then slept for another 3 hours. We had a "free concert" last night... people were SINGING  and SINGING and SINGING and someone was speaking through what sounded like a megaphone... it was kind of frightening... not knowing what they were saying... not knowing why... and at the same time thinking... when do they sleep around here!  They told us that there would be noise and maybe singing.... but I didn't expect what we heard.  

We eventually fell asleep again.... I think someone had died.... and the SINGING and loud speaker are somewhat normal of the happening of a death.  Dr. Harvey did say they lost a patient last night... so maybe all of it was for that person... and hopefully there won't be as much singing tonight!  And if there is.... we will make better use of our earplugs!

I still don't know what to expect... we are such creatures of wanting to KNOW! and so much of me doesn't know right now... I don't know how to communicate with those around me (they all speak French or Lingala)... I don't know how I can be most helpful... I don't know how I am going to learn how to sleep at night with all the noise. However.... I am reminded....

"Have I not commanded you, be strong and courageous? Do not be terrified, do not be discouraged, for  the Lord our God is WITH YOU WHEREVER YOU GO." = Joshua 1:9

From here we continue! 

No comments: