Monday, February 16, 2009

Time

** I uploaded more pictures so scroll down to see them!!**
Monday: It is interesting here because life is simpler... I don't have to think about driving, schedules, appointments... but at the same time... it is more complicated because "normal" is so different.  I am reminded more and more that it is not my time during the day... it's God's time.  After morning report I usually write a list of things I would like to accomplish for the day, and I think... "how am I going to do this... with out a translator, without this evaluation tool, etc." But at the end of the day... I look at my list... and it is complete!  It doesn't just happen without effort on my part (although that would be nice at times!) but there is reward in committing my attitude to be positive, to be open, to be flexible, to be willing to adapt, to listen to the urgings of the holy spirit as the day develops.  This environment really makes it clear... it's not my time... it's God's... and I find true freedom in that and I pray to take that continual recognition home!
So today, my friend Mr. Perrone the 71 year old gentleman, who came in last Thursday 3 days post having a stroke leaving the left side of his body immobile, went "home" today.  We worked on range of motion exercises together for his shoulder, elbow, wrist, hand, hip, knee, and foot.  It was very encouraging because today I observed him complete his exercises independently, eat independently, and transfer with good body awareness... he even took a few steps using a walker!  His left arm function has increased significantly which is encouraging!  Function is livelihood here... his effort is great... and because of that I am sure he will continue to progress in is functional ability, and adaptability to the permanent loss of function.

He has no family nearby (remember it took him 3 days to get to the hospital!), and there is a family friend who accompanied him to the hospital and his taking care of him... but the family friend must return to work or he will lose his job... so it was decided that Mr.Perrone was doing well with his rehab and understood what should be done to continue progressing when he returned home.  I would have liked to work with him a little longer, but things are different here!  

This man also reminds me that our human emotions are the same no matter what language we speak, or what country we are from... he told me that it is difficult to accept this change in his body... I can't imagine... he is a very fit 71 year old man! I hope you can see his muscles in the picture I hope to post!  Continue to think of him as he makes the long journey home, and the changes that he will have to adjust to upon returning to "normal" life at home.

Fun Fact #7: I help Ginny teach an English class on Monday and Thursdays... today we talked about the weather.  It is funny to talk about weather with a group of people who really only experience HOT and HUMID and sometimes rainy weather... we talked about snow... I drew a picture on the chalk board... and they all said..."It....is...star...outsieed..too-dee."  They thought my picture was of stars... explaining snow is fun!  So I drew a picture of a snowman... Then they got it!  

1 comment:

Nancy said...

Thank you for communicating so well your experiences, it is wonderful to read. I can't imagine when you have time to do this. I love picturing the things you share, having been to Africa once (Kenya). Still praying for you! Promise not to get a sunburn.
Love, Nancy Lockhart